BMC Atrium Discovery Community Forum

This forum is now closed. Please check sticky posts and announcements for further information.

Links to new community:

forgot password?

1 of 2
Network Device “Name”
Posted: 03 August 2011 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Contributor
Total Posts:  43

Hi,

When I discover a network device, the “Name” field has the same content that “SNMP sysname”, and this is not the same as set at DNS.

So, the question is that if ADDM can resolve the name at DNS. I think yes, because it has a Name Resolution configuration tab, but ii’s using the “SNMP sysname” or “hostname” (in case host discovery).

BMC Topology Discovery had an option to set the device/host DNS name instead of the “hostname”/“sysname” discovered at each host/device.

What can I do to change this and see the “Name” as the resolved DNS name?

Regards,
Laura

Posted: 03 August 2011 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
BMC ADDM Staff
RankRankRankRank
Administrator
Total Posts:  2089

No you cannot change the system to report the DNS name.

ADDM reports the name supplied by the device or host.

Posted: 03 August 2011 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Contributor

OK, but, if the discovery is by IP and the Name is not changed to the DNS name… the ADDM “Name resolution” configuration is for…?

Thanks for your help!

Posted: 04 August 2011 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Contributor

Can anyone explain the ADDM “Name Resolution” option? I really don’t understand the use of this setting.

Thanks!

Posted: 04 August 2011 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Guru
Total Posts:  356

Laura,
By your question I assume you are using ADDM 7.5X something?
The 7-series of ADDM is completely different from 8.X.

In regards to your question, the answer depends on what version of ADDM you are using, incl patch level.

Signature 

Monitor what matters, model what is monitored

These postings are my own and do not necessarily represent BMC’s position, strategies, or opinion.

Posted: 04 August 2011 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Contributor

Yes, I now.

We have 8.2.03, but the customer has las version of Topology Discovery. Topology can assign the resolved name, so they want to do the same (we are migrating the product).

I now that there is a tab at ADDM 8.x for “Name resolution”, but if the product don’t resolve IPs to names, I don’t undestand his functionality…

Thanks!

Posted: 04 August 2011 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Guru

The 8-series resolves each IP of a discovered device and accociate the DNS name of the IP to the IP. Since a NetworkDevice can have several IPs (and several DNS entries), using the DNS name as “Name” for the device will simply be wrong.
If the DNS resolution does not work, have you verified fw are opened between ADDM and the DNS? Are the IPs registered in DNS?
The SysName is a more accurate attribute to use in this case.

Is the customer facing the problem in ADDM or in CMDB?

Signature 

These postings are my own and do not necessarily represent BMC’s position, strategies, or opinion.

Posted: 04 August 2011 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Contributor

So, I know the products are different, but the question is what’s the functionality of “Name Resolution” at ADDM 8.x?

Posted: 04 August 2011 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
BMC ADDM Staff
RankRankRankRank
Administrator
Total Posts:  2089

The purpose of DNS is to associate name(s) with NetworkInterface and PortInterface nodes which contain an individual IP address.

As Petrus has said, machines and devices can have multiple addresses so the names are associated with the interfaces rather than the machine or device itself.

Posted: 04 August 2011 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Contributor

We were answering at same time :)

The 8-series resolves each IP of a discovered device and accociate the DNS name of the IP to the IP. Since a NetworkDevice can have several IPs (and several DNS entries), using the DNS name as “Name” for the device will simply be wrong.

Laura -> I’m not agree at all. ADDM discovers by IP, and search the best way/route to access this IP (for example, if a server have 2 network interfaces, and try to access the 2 IPs, ADDM shows an error at one of them and says that the device is accessed by another IP).
Local FQDN contains the local “hostname” output plus the domain. This search is local, as far as I know, ADDM is not asking the configured DNS.

If the DNS resolution does not work, have you verified fw are opened between ADDM and the DNS? Are the IPs registered in DNS?

Laura -> all is open and ADDM server resolves by command line too. We have configured /etc/resolv.conf too.
I think that ADDM DNS function is not in use, because if I see the discovery scripts for servers, I can see that “name” is being mapped with the result of the command “hostname” $options.

The SysName is a more accurate attribute to use in this case.

Laura -> The customer has set his switches with an internal name like “example”, but the correct name is at DNS.

Is the customer facing the problem in ADDM or in CMDB?

Laura -> At ADDM. We are not integrating ADDM with CMDB by now, but we will do it in a month (they have 7.x integrated with CMDB).

Posted: 04 August 2011 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Contributor

Hi Andrew,

So, “name” and “FQDN” for the principal IP is searched local, but FQDNs of the other interfaces are searched by DNS? I don’t understand why… [animoto]:S[/animoto]

I think is best assign the DNS resolved interface FQDN (of the principal IP) to the “name” attribute.

Thanks!

Posted: 04 August 2011 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Guru

I can see the issue the customer is facing with their solution.
My advice would simply be to leave the Discovery Scripts alone and let ADDM do what it does.
To solve this in CMDB, you simply have to create a Syncmapping Extension to the core one, overwriting the default attribute value with whatever the customer wants (the DNS Name of the NetworkDevice)
Hence, ADDM will report the discovered data as it does today, but in CMDB it will look “TD” :)

Signature 

Posted: 04 August 2011 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Contributor

Thank you for the sugestion. We were thinking about modify scripts for servers or replace Name at CMDB, but is difficult to explain the customer that they are making a migration and they lose capabilities with ADDM 8.x.

Maybe the mapping change between ADDM and CMDB is a good idea, but the DNS name of a network device is not at ADDM, so, we will have to make a development :(… any sugestion for doing something at ADDM level?

Posted: 04 August 2011 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Guru
Total Posts:  2740
Laura García - 04 August 2011 09:13 AM
I think is best assign the DNS resolved interface FQDN (of the principal IP) to the “name” attribute.

Unfortunately “principle IP” is not something that can be discovered. There is no RFE, no standard that allows this to be done. It’s generally just a local convention in the client.

Similarly an IP can have many names that resolve to it either for intended reasons or because a clients DNS service is actually wrong and fragmented, a situation we see very frequently.

If you client has a strong local convention then I would follow Petrus’s advice and code that local convention into an extension to the base syncmappings so they get the name they want in CMDB.

Petrus is also right, in no way do we resolve the IP we are using to discover a device via DNS, in some cases (NAT) the device may not even be aware of that IP. The IPs the device reports to us however are looked up and we need a DNS server to do that. You can see this in every DiscoveryAccess with the getNames method.

ADDM also needs a DNS server to look up it’s own local name for the various services that need this.

ADDM is not TD, if you try and force it to work like TD you are likely to give your client an unstable and poor quality discovery system.

Image Attachments
getnames.png

Posted: 04 August 2011 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRank
Contributor

Maybe is good to suggest a “getNames” excution for SNMP discovery in next releases too.

Posted: 04 August 2011 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Guru
Total Posts:  2740

We already do that, here’s a Catalyst switch in our test network.

Image Attachments
getnames.png

1 of 2