BMC Atrium Discovery Community Forum

This forum is now closed. Please check sticky posts and announcements for further information.

Links to new community:

forgot password?

Cannot find Application Mapping Channel in recently upgraded ADDM 8.3.1
Posted: 17 January 2012 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3

I recently upgraded my ADDM v8.2.2 appliance to v8.3 SP1. The upgrade went smoothly, but I want to use the new “CAM” and cannot find the Application Mapping channel. My Application tab appears to be unchanged from v8.2.2. I’ve cleared the browser cache and have tried multiple browsers on different machines. I’ve also looked for it in the list of channels in Administration > Channels, but have not found it. The …TODO log didn’t specify any additional steps, and the upgrade log seems to contain what you’d expect.

Could I have missed a step to enable CAM?

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted: 17 January 2012 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Guru
Total Posts:  225

I think what you are asking is how to get to CAMS. From a discovery containing some IP’s you want to map, open the IP in the UI. Then, from actions, select actions, then manual groups. Create a group name and hit create and you will now be in CAMS.

Hope that is what you were asking.

Posted: 17 January 2012 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank

Thanks for your quick response, Craig.
It makes more sense now.
I was watching the Tideway video series on CAM and the woman always seemed to start from a channel on her Applications page. Now that I’ve entered CAM from the Manual Groups function, I see that her channel was probably one she created as a shortcut, but that they both bring us to the same query builder.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Posted: 17 January 2012 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Guru
Total Posts:  225

If it makes you feel better I had some difficulty finding it myself. Hopefully in a future release, they can just put a CAM icon in the upper right of the UI.

Posted: 18 January 2012 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
BMC ADDM Staff
RankRankRank
Administrator
Total Posts:  38

Hi folks – it sounds like you’ve managed to find your way around this already, but just to add some detail around it and some background to go with it:

When we were designing the UI for the feature, we thought long and hard about how people would want to step into it and get up and running. Conceptually, it builds on top of the already existing “grouping” features, so tools to start working with it can generally be found wherever grouping controls exist.

Having said that, we did add a new dashboard channel to serve as a jumping off point, which should exist under the Applications tab. It may be that this channel just isn’t currently visible on your appliance.

I’ll follow up shortly with a quick rough-and-ready screencast about how you can go about adding the CAM channel to your main dashboard – watch this space!

Posted: 18 January 2012 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
BMC ADDM Staff
RankRankRankRank
Administrator
Total Posts:  184

Hi folks,

If you are not seeing the new Application Mapping channel, I suspect that you are on an upgraded appliance, and at some point a customised definition of the Applications page has been created, which is therefore overriding the current page layout.

Take a look in /usr/tideway/data/custom/reports and look for a definition in one or more of the reports definition files with a .xml suffix. It might look something like this:

<page name="ApplicationHome">
        <
channel>Applications.Channel.Summary</channel>
        <
channel>Impact.Channel.ApplicationImpact</channel>
</
page

If there is something like this, it is overriding the defined UI and hiding any product updates. There may be other page definitions too, doing the same thing.

The content of data/custom/reports is all customisation; if you don’t know what it’s customising, you could start by moving all the xml files somewhere else and restart the services, which will return everything to default, and therefore reveal the current UI. Then if necessary, you can selectively re-apply any required customisations.

We’ll investigate how we can at least detect and highlight any potential overrides like this during upgrade, though it probably won’t make the next release.

Here is the 8.3.x documentation for Custom Reporting.

[ Edited: 18 January 2012 01:07 PM by Mark Wilkinson]

Posted: 18 January 2012 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
BMC ADDM Staff
RankRankRank
Administrator
Total Posts:  38

As promised, here’s a rough and ready screencast covering adding the appmapping channel to your main dashboard.

Please bear in mind Mark’s advice above, though, as that’ll help make sure your appliance hasn’t been customized in a way that doesn’t show new UI compontents!

Posted: 18 January 2012 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Rank

Thanks so much for the quick replies.

As Mark suggested, I did in fact have custom reports that I’d picked up along the way in /usr/tideway/data/custom/reports.
I looked at the default channel definitions in the …installed/reports and added lines for the AppMapping and AppMappingVideos channels to my “ApplicationHome” page in my custom reports xml file as shown (in red) in the graphic below.

Thanks,
Kevin

Image Attachments
addm.png