A Data Center Baseline is an audit performed before any large IT project. The extent of the baseline, the inventory (hardware, software, physical, virtual), and the inter-dependencies must be considered. They are typically difficult, time consuming, and without automation rapidly become outdated. BMC Atrium Discovery make them a lot simpler:
- What is Baselining – explains what data center baselining is and how BMC Atrium Discovery simplifies this task.
- Automatic Grouping – automatically analyses the observed network communications between hosts to determine which hosts work closely together, which are depended on by large amounts of the estate, which consume the same services and so on. The estate is divided into logically associated groups after every discovery run, providing you with a report that would take hundreds of hours to assemble manually.
- Manual Grouping – enables you to create and label bespoke groups from hosts in BMC Atrium Discovery.
- Host Profiles – can be generated for every discovered host. Each profile contains essential information about the host's hardware and software, as well as pre-analysed tables and visualisations that give you an accessible view of what the hosts are doing. Print them, take them into meetings, discuss them and scribble on them - they're an invaluable tool for collaborating in workshops and interviews.
- The Baselining Dashboard – provides tools and reports enabling you to track and report on the progress of your baseline.